Friday, March 12, 2010

Burning down the lab, spilling acid over myself, and getting mad at a labmate!!

Could have been the worst day of my lab. I might have just been in the hospital for severe burns today, but I got lucky. Not once but twice! While doing the TFA cleavage in the chemical hood, as I was adding air into the cap for it to be completely drained, pop!!!! The whole cap just burst spilling TFA filled resin all over the hood! I thanked my starts for having been careful and pulling the hood panel down just before doing this. I remember doing this stuff before and not closing the panel properly. PHEW!!! TFA burns...I wouldn't have enjoyed that one!

A couple of hours later, I was melting a glass rod in the biological hood this time using a bunsen burner. Thats easy, its hardly anything! Just hold the tip of the rod to the fire n enjoy seeing it transform. All of a sudden, the fire is huge and it catches the rubber pipe on top of it! The hood is on fire! I screamed for help and amidst the panic it didn't even strike me to switch off the gas outlet! 2 guys came running and by then I had gathered my neurons together to be able to switch the gas off. The lab would have been on fire!! It could have just caught me or my clothes instead of the tube! PHEW AGAIN!!!! We changed the tubing, and made sure there wasnt any leakage. Thanks to the guys around we didn't burn... but my heartbeat is still triplle!

There's a person in my lab, who is one of the most rude and insolent people I have met so far in this city. She was so horrible today! And yes, I did give it back to her in my way today. I have been taking it for quite some time, but today was a limit! Just cuz shes been here a year before us doesnt give her the right to behave this way with us. And shes not our PI! The way she speaks to us ordering us around and all! We are grad students...not some kindergarten kids or fools who don't understand anything.

What a day it has been. And its still not over...I need to get home late tonight..I wonder what else in in store for me today...

2 comments:

AK (forever and for always!) said...

I am sorry to hear you had such a crappy day. Sounds pretty dangerous too. You must have been in a really bad mood or really pre occupied to let all this happen. That sucks

But look at the brighter side, there is a guardian angel watching over you, who protected you today time and time again from getting hurt, who gave you the strength and the power to stand up against the tyrant of the lab...

True your day is not over yet... but you need to trust this guardian angel of yours to continue to watch over you... think of everytime in life that you got hurt but also got over it, you are never alone

Of course, you always have your friends to rely on, even if they do have a horrible american accent, they still love you very dearly

Anonymous said...

Please be more careful. You said 'hmmm' when i asked to take care of u r self, when we last spoke.......Please keep up u r word.......

A note to the generous ones...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please read on, at your own risk ;) And feel free to scold, advise, comment, reprimand, praise or just simply say 'hmm' :)