Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Being a woman

I am feeling very irritated right now. I can't really pinpoint a reason. Suddenly I am very repulsed by the messiness of my room, my house, particularly my bathroom. If the way of drying clothes is a little stupid, (you hang them in a hanger and then lift them up with rods onto a bar high up), its just driving me nuts. Why can't there be simple clothes lining like we used to have in our homes or a dryer which dries everything. While doing all this, I just saw myself and realized that I was looking so haggard. My hair was unkempt, my face was dried up, I mean I had just taken a bath. I should have looked fresh, felt fresh. But even though I had a bath, I was feeling all hot and restless from within. Then all sorts of negative things started coming to my mind. About how frustrating certain days of the month can be, how irritating certain phases of life are, how sometimes you just feel like screaming or being snappy without any rhyme or reason. It really requires a patient person to understand a woman. Thats why there are so many jokes and wild humor that men share about 'women', 'marriage', 'unpredicatbility', 'no logic' and so on and so forth. I can't blame them cuz some times are really like that, senseless. But I think when God made a woman, he made her so rich from inside, that it became practically impossible for her to carry her weight all the time in a balanced manner...what people fondly call 'emotional baggage'. There is so much to a woman - love, passion, beauty...everything is more complicated than men, be it the physical exterior or the deep interior. Naturally to balance it out, God gave women the pains too...pains of being a girl when you reach age, pains of being a partner when you have to be careful about so many things, pains of being a mother, both biologically and emotionally, pains of being a home-keeper (by default it is more a responsibility of the woman in the house) and what not. I feel that a person who sees a woman in her wholeness is someone who truly appreciates God's creativity. While hanging some clothes today I remembered my mother, and got reminded of how I used to criticize her all the time for looking haggard, for suddenly scolding me and my sister without any reason, for suddenly bursting out at my father when he asked a simple question. The same mother, without whom I would not be what I am today, whose love, unconditional love and utmost care and concern come what may, for everyone in her family, made us all united as one. This capability, again, is a way of God's creativity in designing a woman, where he gave her an inner strength to endure everything. I sincerely hope that people who mock women seriously for what they are, realize that it is not easy to be everything for everyone in one lifetime...

No, nothing happened that made me write this. I guess its just a realization that came to me when I could see myself as I saw my mother a few years back. Just as a note to her, I love you Ma, for everything that you are. You are the world's best woman in my life...

2 comments:

Macho Girl said...

I just have 3 words for this post which I hope will express it all..

I totally agree!

Anusha said...

Ha, agreed. It's easy to just make jokes about women and their temper tantrums or their illogical reactions to things, and I agree that we're definitely a complicated sex, but like you, I do hope that the people who make these jokes are aware that it's not something we do on purpose or something we can help.

It's hard work being female! :P

A note to the generous ones...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please read on, at your own risk ;) And feel free to scold, advise, comment, reprimand, praise or just simply say 'hmm' :)