Sunday, May 10, 2009

Of Noses and Nostrils

Wondering what this must be about? The first thing I guess everyone notices about a person is his/her nose and the way he/she twitches and 'tortures' it. I still don't know why the nose is such an abused feature of the face. I mean thats not the only protruding part right, you have ears, cheeks, lips etc. also that one can exploit all the time, but no one mishandles the other parts as much as the nose. Or maybe that just looks the most hideous on fiddling with! So there are many categories of nose-exploitations that I have observed. Will try to list them here.

1. The most common one is the 'push-up'. A twitch or itch, and the whole hand goes and pushes the nose up with full force, making it look like a pig's snout. I mean why does it have to be pushed up like that, it can just be slightly scratched, pulled at gently, or the horizontal finger movement putting your forefinger on the septum also suffices. It need not be pushed up to 180 degrees, making the person look ugly and at the same time creating a 'line of bend' in the middle of the nose surface.

2. Of course there is picking of the nose! This is not only ugly, but dirty too. Yes we all have phlegm. And it needs to be thrown out of the system, very well acknowledged. But it need not be done publicly using your finger nails to scratch out the 'substance', and then wipe your finger under the table. Cleaning your olfactory asset is a must for everyone, but the art of 'nose-picking' need not be so graphically displayed !

3. Then comes the flaring up of nostrils. This is my favourite part. Hehe, or rather least favourite part. I can go on and on writing about this. Everyone has different kinds of nostrils, long, short, huge, tiny, pointed, round and what not. Its very strange how these shapes hit the eye only when they are flared up. I would say the tiny round ones are the most fortunate, as the shape doesn't change for them even when they are flared up, but the most unfortunate ones are the pointed ones. One they are flared, they suddenly enlarge from the sides, and become more pointed than ever. Something like a 'lying down' isosceles triangle with the 2 arms being the upper and lower edges of the nostril and the base forming the third edge, vertically, but curved. Now when the nostril gets flared up, the point connecting the curved base and the upper-edge arm gets very fiercely pointed, and the curvy part gets bigger and rounder. Something like this.






And to top it up, somehow people who have this very prominent nostril-flare, also invariably end up flaring it most of the time! It becomes a part of their expressions, conversations, everything. Giving just a look to someone will not just be through the eye, eyebrow or lips (which are the usual pre-requisites for giving looks), but also through a flared nostril ! I used to wonder whether actually it is everyone who does it and its just very prominent for people with pointed nostrils but no, the ones with these pointed ones tend to exhibit them much more. Why that happens I really don't know. There are people who just cant have a normal conversation without flaring their nostrils. I mean usually nostrils are flared when one is breathing heavily, yawning or is angry. Yes there are exceptions to all categories here, but Im mentioning the most frequently occuring observation. Ok shape of a nostril and even the nose for that matter is something we can't do anything about. Some are really lucky, have beautiful noses and nostrils, some have one good, the other not-so-good, but some are the other extreme - huge prominent nose with prominent nostrils. We all have to live with it. But the flaring bit is voluntary right? If one wants to make their nostrils noticed, then its another thing, but being aware of how you look if you have prominent nostrils and when you flare them up all the time, is important for the sake of the visual comfort of people around. Trust me, half of the time the attention gets diverted from what you are saying to how you are distorting your prominent asset!

4. What else, their are noses with nose-hair sticking out. Hehe, everyone has nose-hair, but if you have even a slightly pointed up nose or nostril, it sticks out, making it look like a mucosal display! I know, one can't do much about this, but Im sure it can be trimmed slightly if its too prominent.

5. And yes, some people just love to fiddle with their noses all the time. Touch it, squeeze it, pinch it, push a nostril with a finger making it look like an 'almost-nose-pick' and what not! Oh come on, give the poor thing a rest, after all it helps you do the thing you need to sustain - breathe, give it some respect for that!


I think this is one of the observations that has always had an effect on me ever since I was a child. I used to hate it when some people closely related to me used to push up their nose when they had a cold or flare up their nostrils. Hehe, I have learnt over the years that its just something very natural, something which you can't care about all the time. I myself do some of the things mentioned above (except the nose-picking bit!), and I know one can't really be all sophisticated all the time. But mind you, I still stand by the fact that it is one of the amusing and sometimes unpleasant visual distractions one sees in people.

I used to feel that its only me who notices and gets affected by these observations, but of late, I realized that its not just me, when someone actually came and displayed their irritation on the way the other person's imposing personality was enhanced by a particularly prominent constant nose-flaring. There are other oddities of the facial expressions too, like hanging your lower lip exposing your gums, frothing your mouth while speaking too much because of not gulping your saliva etc., but the nose, and the nostrils are just the best! I don't think anything else catches as much attention as these 2 brothers do.

:D

I do not claim to be an epitome of sophistication at all, but penning down this observation which has been there in me since I was a child was quite amusing and fun I must say. No offense meant to anyone whatsoever :)




6 comments:

Mesirine said...

hehehe..... yaaa that was one nossy affair!!! hehe...u should be given the crown of honour for being able to write soo much about these two brothers (cute phrase!)yeah but i totally agree to this one..but im amazed at your abilities darling....really!!! uve got an amazing gift..will elaborate later :P

Anonymous said...

yeah. noses are meant to be tortured. Its like an antenna which receives the first signal of irritation, therefore the first victim of torture.

Momo said...

ya well...it was funny...retty much true too...ya it was funny....sorry that i can't write much more...unfortunately i don't have a vocabulary as vast as yours, which prevents me from writing the desired and much-hoped-for comment...and i must also say that in this process of pointing out my tragic weakness, i do end up writing more...so anyway, it was pretty funny...nice language there...one day, i would like to start writing like that...(fade out sort of day-sreaming...).......

roops said...

hahaha!!! good observations those :P

Macho Girl said...

Ok... from now on, i'll probably end up being very aware of my nose and its status whenever i am around you! Which is sad coz i really love my nose!!!!!!!!!!!! Its all pointy yet rounded :P So does that make me fortunate or unfortunate with the nose flaring bit?

The nose is one of the first things i observe in a person but not the way the person treats the nose! I usually just think something like... ah, nice sharp features, or something like that. What somebody does with their nose is their own business, somehow i choose to ignore it. I am more picky about the way people chew their food :P :P :P

P.S.: This wasnt easy to post the comment for this post because of the eagerness with which u were waiting for a response for this :P Hope ur expectations didnt hit the roof and then fall after reading what I wrote!

P.P.S.: U shud start replying to ur comments page... the commentors wud love to know what u r thinking!

Gardener said...

Ha ha..very funny!! I must say, you've an awesome observation skill!!
P.S:I'm a random blogger!!

A note to the generous ones...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please read on, at your own risk ;) And feel free to scold, advise, comment, reprimand, praise or just simply say 'hmm' :)