Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Some people just never change...

I don't know why I am even writing this post here, it's really not worth dedicating a part of my blog to someone totally worthless. But I guess its a place I can slash out my frustration on too. I used to be a student in this particular lab, and there was a guy in that lab. He was one of the snobbiest two-faced people I have ever met. Anyway I won't go into the details of how mean he was and how his girlfriend and he monopolized the lab on the account of being the senior-most members of it. He made my life miserable there, sending 'insulting' emails sitting in the next room and all other possible things...

Its been almost two years now that I haven't met him. I am out of that lab now and so is he. After all that he made me go through for two years, I decided to remember just the good part of it wherein he had taught me the correct way of using pipettes, something which I can call a skill I possess now. Very recently, I learnt that another co-member of that lab (who is also out of the lab now), became a father. It was great news. I always had a good equation with him, not to mention he was also one of the major contributors for my most recent accomplishment, my PhD admission. I was genuinely happy for him. Surprisingly, this guy had a good relation with the mean guy. I think it was the age factor, he was older than the meano, and hence received some respect from him, something that a 'minor' like me is not entitled to !!

Today, I just saw him online, I mean the meano. And the most annoying altruistically bent attitude that I have in these regards, I 'pinged' him on gmail chat. I said, "Hi ***, how are you doing?" Surprisingly he replied, "I am doing fine". I said, "I thought I should let you know that (nice guy) had a baby child recently". He said, "Oh, great news". Wow, I thought, for a change he is being responsive, being good, being normal! Maybe he has changed, maybe going away to a different country brought him down, maybe he has become a more polite person, maybe he now considers me old or rather qualified enough to give me some respect. I thought, ok let me initiate a conversation, maybe he isn't such a bad person after all, maybe I can change my opinion about him. I said, "how is your wife (his mean monopolizing girlfriend who I knew too)?".... no answer.... hmm, I thought, was I too fast in thinking he has changed? Then I quickly corrected myself - its just chat! he might be busy with something or may not be on his desk! So I thought, let me say something else. I said, "I am joining you guys soon". Immediate reply - "where??". Oh so he wasn't busy or anything. He really did not reply deliberately. I was beginning to regret having messaged him, but I couldn't just leave the conversation there. Well, now to think of it, I could have, and rather, should have. But its me again, I ALWAYS create such situations for myself. I said, " I am coming to the Univ of *****, in the **** program", and like a fool, I expected him to say, "congrats", or even "great", or even a mere "oh all the best" that would have sufficed. After all he was my lab senior for 2 years, this would have meant at least one little teeny weeny bit to him. And then, after what seemed like ages, he wrote, "good for you"...

Wow, that's a really nice way of wishing someone for anything. I even tried to think if it was just a way of wishing someone in some dialect or slang or whatever, but I know him! He does not use such phrases. I have seen him be really polite to people, people who he probably feels 'worthy' of giving respect. I felt like hitting my head. What a fool I was to get myself to feel this way from a totally worthless person. I hate him, really, maybe the only person ever that I really hate. And inspite of that, I wrote, ":) anyway, give my greetings to **** (your wife who deserves you)"...and...no reply...

Seriously, some people never change...and I guess that includes me too. I don't know if I have still learnt my lesson. For all I know, I will try to find ways to put this grudge also behind me. Yeah I know that its supposed to be a good thing, but there is definitely NOTHING I feel good about what I did...the way I invited this for myself...

:-X

No comments:

A note to the generous ones...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please read on, at your own risk ;) And feel free to scold, advise, comment, reprimand, praise or just simply say 'hmm' :)